Do you know how wonderful it feels when you finally travel to one of the destinations from your bucket list?
Ooty, I have seen in many movies, romantic songs and in fact in some of the horror movies as well. I still remember from my childhood, how fascinated I was about this place.
It was a cold freezing night; when we reached Ooty after almost of 7 hours of long driving from Bangalore. In my previous post, I had shared the story how I ended up road tripping in Ooty. I was really excited; finally I was in the one of the places in India that I always wanted to visit. See Unplanned Road Trip to Ooty
Udhagamandalam, popularly known as” Ooty”, “Queen of Hill Stations” is a one of the highest hill stations of India. It is a capital of the Nilgiri district of Tamil Nadu State. Nilgiri mountain is a part of Western Ghats.
The place is visited by many worldwide tourists. Nilgiri Mountain Train or Toy Train is a stream engine train is one of the main tourist attractions. The whole toy train journey is scenic and it offers breathtaking views of the hills and forests.
There are many places of interests in Ooty. Here I am sharing the list of some attractions to must see in Ooty.
- Nilgiri Mountain Train – Toy Train Journey, the best way to explore Ooty and the one of the must to do things in the Ooty. We travelled from Udhagamandalam station to Coonoor. It was around 1 hour journey through Hills and Pine Forests. You will get to see beautiful mountain landscapes, tunnels and valleys. Well, we faced bit difficulties in getting train tickets so I would recommend reaching bit early at the station and getting first class tickets for comfort.
- Rose & Botanical Gardens – Rose garden is the one of the largest gardens in India and it has wide varieties of roses.
- Dodabetta Tea Museum and Factory – The Dodabetta Tea Museum and Factory offers information about the actual tea making process. The factory also sells varieties of Tea. I would recommend trying chocolate tea.
- Pyakra Waterfall and Pyakra Lake – Pyakra Waterfall is the best place I liked in Ooty. The view of the waterfall is an amazing. You will need to walk around 1 km to reach the place.
- Ooty Lake – The Ooty Lake is a nice place for boating experience.
- Local Market – Since it was our totally unplanned trip we had explored the local market broadly. I personally loved the walking around streets. I brought different flavors of tea and homemade chocolates.
Ooty in Photos
Where to Stay
Well, it is very confusing to select the perfect accommodation when it comes to famous tourist destination. Most of the good hotels were occupied when we were looking for accommodation. After struggling for a while we found place at Orchind Inn through Goibibo . In such case it is always better to pre book hotels. You can use TripAdvisor or Goibibio for hotel booking.
So tell me now, Isn’t it a beautiful place to visit?